7.30.2008

That wasn't exactly what I wanted to hear.

I had a rheumatology appointment yesterday. I had never been to him before and since I didn't really care for the last 2 (there are only 3 in Macon), I thought I'd give him a try. He basically told me that he can't do anything for me because I can't afford the medication. I don't know many people who can afford $1,600 a month! My prescription plan through our insurace maxes out at $3,000 and there isn't much I can do about changing plans until the 1st of the year. Sooooooooo, I have a few options and they're not even guaranteed to work. Option 1)Check with a clinic run by my previous Rheumatologist (she was rude!) to see if I qualify for any assistance. I'm pretty this isn't possible considering Lance's income. Option 2)Call the manufacturer of the drug and see if they will offer any assistance. This seems to be the best thing to do. I know that Lance's cousin is taking something similar and the company is paying for her medication for a year and all she has to do is reapply when the year is up. Option 3) Call and see about getting on Medicare and what their prescription plan is. I'm not sure I want to do that until the first of year because I'm currently insured through Lance's job. *sigh*

The doctor did some X-rays of my hands/wrists, feet/ankles & knees. Everything has arthritis in it but the worst was my wrists. There is hardly any joint space at all, meaning they are fusing together, which is what causes them to freeze & deform. He also gave me an injection in my elbow (which I almost went into a panic over). The injection isn't going to help anything that has already happened but prevent further deformity. In case some of you haven't noticed, I can't completely extend my right arm because of the arthritis in my elbow. AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH! WHY ME?!

There was a man in the waiting room that is my worst nightmare. He was in a wheelchair, groaning from time to time. His hands were all gnarled up and he was wearing some sort of special shoes. Oh Lord, PLEASE don't ever let that be me!

Anyway, just pray for me. Pray for my wrists especially. I need them! You don't realize how much you use something until they don't work right anymore. Also pray that I will find some sort of solution to my medical care. GRR!

5 folks had something to say.:

Kasey said...

Praying for you, I cant even begin to imagine. I guess we each have our own things to bear...praying Gods grace as you go through this, until He sees fit to heal you.

Tam said...

God has an answer! Well, He is the answer. I will continue to pray and believe for your complete healing!

Grace & Co said...

I am definitely praying for you! God is in control and will answer your prayers according to His will.

Valerie said...

That sounds scary. Goodness, I did not realize you were in that kind of shape. Something will work out hopefully, I hope so anyways.

How did you end up with it? Any family members have it? I was just wondering.

Erika J. said...

I've heard that it has nothing to do with genetics but my great grandfather had it really bad.